Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Schooled by Deena Bright


Schooled

By Deena Bright

Also posted at: Ms. Reality's Goodreads

4 Stars—Only because the ending pissed me off royally!  Would have been a 4.5 for me.

Goodreads Summary:

The horrifying shock of witnessing her husband banging his skank-whore secretary spurred this ever-wholesome and rule-following teacher to seek some new lessons of her own. A young teacher learns about sexuality, pleasure, and satisfaction from rather unlikely and forbidden teachers, her former students, now recent college graduates. Not only does she get “schooled” by the beautifully-built all-American football player who struggled to pass her class, but she also learns a few tricks from the innocent, well-read, and thoroughly sexy bookworm. Both men teach her that not all curricula worth learning comes from a book.

Go through the journey Janelle Garrity-Flowers faces after discovering her husband’s infidelity. Growing up, she followed the rules, but now, she wants to defy the norms and play by her own rules. Janelle explores her own sexuality, searching for pleasure beyond her wildest dreams. However, despite this callow teacher’s “lesson plan” of forgoing the rules and not letting emotion get involved, the teacher must decide between the athlete, the scholar, and the career she loves. But what or who does she love and want more?

 

My Thoughts:

I was sucked in completely with all of Janelle’s marital problems.  I felt for her. I wanted to scream, fight and stand up for her!  I wanted to be her Char!  Deena really wrote this as real as it could come with a woman’s feeling about being cheated on and lied too.  I really liked how she worked that.

I freaking loved Briggs and Leo.  Two hot, sexy hunks of grown men just waiting in the wings to show Janelle what she had been missing all those years!  I mean, we all need a brush up course now and then…right???  I loved how Janelle had to ‘teach’ Briggs and Leo had to ‘teach’ her.  *Swoon*! 

Another thing I loved was all the pop culture references.  I read in the back of the book that Deena was told to take out all these events that it would time her book….screw that!  I loved the ‘urkle’ reference and my ultimate favorite was the ‘Wicked’ references.  I am very partial to loving that play so well there ya go!  It was also a pivotal moment for Janelle too.

“No more regrets. No more worrying about what everyone thought.  It didn’t matter.  It was my life. My life to live.  Life was flying by.  I needed to fly too, ‘defy gravity.’”

I was really captivated with this book. I loved finding out who she was going to choose and all the drama that was unfolding, even if I didn’t get my answer.  The buildup was nice.   I mean a teacher with a sex life…no way!  I was utterly disappointed with the ending.  There really was not ending.  The story just stopped.  I got no closure or conclusion.  I want to know what happens.  I am sure the author will have the next book out soon, but I don’t like the abruptness of how this ended. 

Can’t wait to hear when the next book comes out cause I’ll have to read it to find out what the hell happens!

“For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: it might have been!”  Words to live by!

No comments:

Post a Comment