Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Review: Forever My Girl by Heidi McLauglin

Goodreads Summary
I was never supposed to be a rock star. I had my life all planned out for me. Play football in college. Go to the NFL. Marry my high school sweetheart and live happily ever after. 
 
I broke both our hearts that day when I told her I was leaving. I was young. I made the right decision for me, but the wrong decision for us. I’ve poured my soul into my music, but I’ve never forgotten her. Her smell, her smile. 
 
And now I’m going back. 
 
After ten years. 
 
I hope I can explain that after all this time. 
 
I still want her to be my forever girl.

My Thoughts
This book was a refreshing change for me. So many that i have read lately have left me with a serious book hangover. Either the subject matter is too heavy or there is a stupid cliff hanger at the end. Not saying i did not enjoy those books. But sometimes it is nice to get a break and read something that is light on the emotional turmoil and does not leave you screaming at your poor e reader because you need more ASAP!

I love books about high school sweethearts. There is something just so romantic about first love! Josie and Liam were that all American high school couple. She was a cheerleader and he was the quarterback. Seems like a match made in high school heaven right? Well sometimes what seems to be so perfect then changes when you are out in the real world. And that happens to Liam. He starts to see he is living someone else's dream. He decides to pursue his own but doesn't think Josie would want to be part of it. So he does the only thing he will regret for the next 10 years and that is leave her behind.

When Liam returns home a lot of things changed. His best friend is gone. His girl has moved on. And she also has been keeping a secret. I almost felt bad for him but then what did he expect? You can not walk away from your life for 10 years and come home to everything just as you left it. He could have handled things better. But they say hindsight is 20/20. Which Liam quickly realizes when he is faced with the things he missed out on. 

I really liked how we got things from both Liam and Josie's POV. I think authors only make their stories stronger by giving his that male perspective. And although this book could have been heavy due to the subject matter, it wasn't. I didn't become emotionally invested in the characters and that was okay with me. As I said in the beginning of this review, sometimes you just need a quick light read. One that gives just enough and leaves a smile on your face at the end. And this is the perfect book for that!! 

Looking forward to reading more in this series!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment