Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Review: The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3) by Richelle Mead


The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3)

5 Hearts

“I’ll just love you whether you want me to or not.”

Oh my god, that line! My heart. My heart… Eeee! Seriously? Chapter 2!? Yessss! The Indigo Spell definitely starts off with a bang. Right away we are thrust into this exciting new dynamic post Adrian’s declaration of love to Sydney in The Golden Lily. This book had a very different feel than both of the previous books in the series and although I loved both of them, I REALLY LOVED this one!!

The Indigo Spell really has two main stories going at once. There is the mystery of Marcus Finch who we learned about in The Golden Lily. Who is he? Did he really used to be an Alchemist? How did he escape? What does he want now? So many questions surround this guy and I really, really enjoyed that part of the story… Sydney discovering the answers to all those questions and in doing so bringing about her own questions about what she wants for herself and her own future with or without the Alchemists “organization.”

Then, there is the magical powers storyline and how Sydney is a natural. We learn here that someone is using magic to do some pretty awful things to young girls. Ms. Terwilliger has obviously taken an interest in Sydney in the past books and she doesn’t let up in this one either. Without giving it all away, Ms. T uses Sydney to help find more information in these gruesome incidents which in turns means Sydney must be more involved in wielding her magical abilities.

Meanwhile, the romance of Sydney and Adrian weaved throughout these two main storylines. When I said in my review for TGL that I “see lots of angst, flirting, and UST coming,” I was seriously right. Adrian, while still being his arrogant, lovable self, is extremely open with his feeling for Sage throughout the entire book.

"I love you, and beneath all that logic, calculation, and superstition, I know you love me too."

As much as Sydney would like to deny her feelings for him, she is actually aware of them in this book. That is huge, because in The Golden Lilyshe is so completely oblivious to her or Adrian’s feelings.

In fact, as I sat beside him in the car, I had a difficult time not thinking about how it had felt to be pressed up against him. Or how his fingers had felt entangled in my hair. Or how his lips had— Sydney! Stop. Think of something else. Conjugate Latin verbs. Recite the periodic table.

Adrian is always there for Sydney, her partner in crime as she discovers new things about Marcus, the incidents with the girls, her powers, everything. This is really quite awesome because it means lots and lots of face time for Adrian. Whoohoo! I enjoyed every second of him laying it all out there no matter how much she tried to deny what was happening. Which by the way did drive me absolutely CRAZY at times. I wanted to smack her to wake the hell up! I have always really loved Sydney and her awkward, literal, quirky ways, but there were times in this that she definitely tested my patience.

“Are you seriously in this much self-denial, Sydney? Like do you actually believe yourself when you say you don’t feel anything? Especially after what’s been happening between us?”

And while there are plenty of intense, chill inducing, heart racing moments, there is still that perfect amount of humor that I come to expect from this series.

“White what?” I almost sat down but was afraid the chair might dematerialize beneath me.
“It’s a drink,” he said. “You’d think I wouldn’t be into something named that—you know, considering my own personal experience with Russians. But they’re surprisingly delicious. The drinks, not real Russians. They’ve got Kahlua. It might be the drink you’ve been waiting your whole life for.”
... 
“Let me get this straight. The future of our relationship hinged on advice from a fifteen-year-old girl, a probably untrue story from a one-eyed Chihuahua trainer, and me unromantically—yet skillfully—kissing you on top of silverware and china?” 

This was such a phenomenal addition to the series and the romance junkie in me is so glad we got loads of Adrian and Sydney together in general, but I was really surprised how many steamy, romantic moments there were. I am really liking the direction the series is taking. It will be interesting to see how Sydney juggles the Alchemists, her magical abilities, Adrian, and her family in the next book. What I'm most excited about is getting Adrian's POV too! It does make me a little nervous about why we might be getting his point of view though. As much as I desperately want the A Fiery Heart right now, the ending of this one was pretty tame in terms of cliffhangers. It actually made me chuckle to myself in an "of course that is happening" way and say, “okay, bring it on!”


“You’re my flame in the dark. We chase away the shadows around each other.”






No comments:

Post a Comment