Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Review: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire


Can you love someone too much?
Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.









**ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley**

THIS. IS. A. MUST. READ. BOOK.

If you have not read Beautiful Disaster, you need to….NOW! 


When I first began this book, I wasn’t sure what to expect.  I knew that it was going to be retold through Travis’ eyes, but one never knows the direction the author is going to go in.  This being said, I LOVE TRAVIS MADDOX more than I did in BD.  Hearing his inner thoughts on situations where I wanted to yell at him in BD, made everything seem right somehow. 

I must say that the prologue to this book was absolutely gut-wrenching. I had tears streaming down my face that I could not stop.  I came in from reading this outside and my husband started laughing at me, asking ‘is that a new look?’  Apparently my mascara didn’t like my tears.
Finally learning the background of Travis and his feelings helped me to accept some of the bad plays that he did to Abby throughout BD.   

“I looked at Mommy but quickly shook my head. "I don't want to miss her."
Becky put her soft, warm hand on my shoulder, just like Mommy used to when I was upset. "Your mom wants to be here with you. She wants that very much. But Jesus wants her with him right now."
I frowned. "I need her more than Jesus does.”

Travis’ dad is one smart man.  I absolutely loved him too!  Travis’ dad had a really rough time dealing with his mother’s death.  And he lost himself for a while.  The fact that he is back and able to give upstanding advice to Travis put a huge smile on my face.

“One of these days you're going to fall in love, son. Don't settle for just anyone. Choose the girl that doesn't come easy; the one you have to fight for, and then never stop fighting. Never”

But Travis didn’t take it at first.  He was too caught up in his own issues that he couldn’t.  He pushed her away relentlessly. And even when he finally decided that he wanted to be with her, his self-doubt held him back.
“So you like her and you're scared. Now what?"
"Nothing. It just sucks that I finally found the girl worth having and she's too good for me.”

Even through all his internal fighting, he can’t say away from her.  His Pidge.

“I decided a long time ago I would feed on the vultures until a dove came along. A pigeon. The kind of soul that didn't impede on anyone; just walked around worrying about its own business, trying to get through life without pulling everyone else down. With its own needs and selfish habits. Brave. A communicator. Intelligent. Beautiful. Soft-spoken. A creature that mates for life. Unattainable until she has a reason to trust you.”

How I absolutely loved hearing him say these words.  I melted for him into a big pool of goo.  I couldn’t hold back!

Through every scene in this book, I got to learn exactly what was going through Travis’s head.  Some things I was frustrated with, while others I swooned over. 

I never really felt his internal struggle with being with Abby, until this book.  I learned, felt, cried and was overjoyed with emotions.

I loved it.

This is a must read book!  Jamie did a spectacular job letting us into Travis’s thoughts.  Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment