Monday, January 26, 2015

Review: Here With Me by Heidi Mclaughlin

 
Ryley Clarke has grown up with the military in her blood, with both parents serving their country. Ryley knows the risks of being married to the military. But when the unthinkable happens, and her future husband is killed in action, Ryley can barely survive... until Evan's twin brother, Nate, helps her pick up the pieces.

After serving on a special mission with the military for six years, Evan Archer returns home to find the unthinkable - the love of his life, Ryley Clarke - engaged to his brother, Nate. With Nate on deployment, Evan needs to figure out what happened in his absence, and more importantly, how to win Ryley back from the man he once considered his best friend, but now thinks of as his rival.
 
Evan is living his worst nightmare. After being gone on a secret mission that went VERY wrong, he returns home to find everything he thought he had waiting on him, no longer his. He is shocked and saddened that everything he knew and believed in, is now called into question. 

Ryley believed that Evan and the love they shared was gone. She picked up the pieces the best way she knew how and got on with life. Never in her wildest dreams did she ever believe there'd be a day where he'd return, expecting her to be waiting with open arms. 
Things just got a whole lot messy. Neither know how to move forward and they also don't know how to let go. 

This book gutted me. I understood Ryley moving on with her life after believing Evan was never coming back, I really did. I just couldn't wrap my head around who she did it with. It made me not really like her as much as I think I would've given different circumstances. I loved Evan's character so much that it made me feel the sense of betrayal on his behalf that much deeper. 

I loved the way the author set this book up to give us that back storyline to better understand the characters and their connection. I felt it was very unique and took the book to that next level. 

The sexual tension was through the roof with Ryley and Evan! And while it was hot, I was so glad the author respected the characters and their relationship enough not to take things too far. A refreshing change to find in a book! 

I did go into this one without reading reviews, so I was a little upset to get to the end only to find out there is a cliffy. So, just a heads up for those would like waiting until all books in the series are available. 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment